Perth school traffic warden accused of sexually abusing children, baby to make porn films

Updated April 09, 2019 18:18:48

A Perth court has been told a school traffic warden allegedly filmed himself engaging in sexual conduct involving children, including a baby.

Warning: this story contains information some readers may find disturbing.

Key points:

  • Michael Cyril Hyde allegedly filmed himself engaging in sexual conduct with children
  • The 60-year-old had been a traffic warden at a Perth school for nearly a decade
  • The court heard Mr Hyde acted as a babysitter for the alleged victims

Michael Cyril Hyde has pleaded not guilty to engaging in sexual conduct and making exploitation material involving four girls and a boy on separate occasions.

The court also heard Mr Hyde had admitted possessing thousands of images and videos downloaded from the internet, with hundreds deemed to be in the most serious category of offensive material.

The 60-year-old had been a traffic warden at a school in Perth’s western suburbs for more than a decade at the time of his arrest.

The court heard there were five victims in total, of mainly primary school age, while one of them was a baby when the alleged conduct started.

Mr Hyde had allegedly acted as a babysitter for the alleged victims.

Hours of disturbing footage to be shown to jury

Judge Felicity Davis told the jurors that, given the nature of the evidence, “you are going to experience some emotions” but she said the evidence needed to be assessed without prejudice.

Prosecutor David Jubb called on the jurors to apply themselves to the case, no matter how “unpleasant” and “confronting” the details.

He told the court the alleged victims would not be giving evidence as the video recordings would “speak for themselves”, and several hours of footage would be shown to the jury.

It would be a “testing time, but play them we must”, Mr Jubb said.

If you need to talk to someone, call:

He described in detail what some of the videos would depict, including touching and exposing of genitals and nipples, and the accused man using obscene language.

Members of the public, including the media, would be excluded from the courtroom when the videos would be played, according to the judge’s order.

The offences allegedly occurred from 2011 to 2016.

The court heard that when Mr Hyde’s home was searched in April, 2016, he told police he had been a school traffic warden for 14 years and said his behaviour had not been inappropriate.

Mr Hyde has pleaded not guilty to eight charges and lawyer said his client denied the conduct on the videos he made was sexual.

Tens of thousands of images and videos

Mr Jubb told the court Mr Hyde had pleaded guilty to possessing 26,425 images and videos which were downloaded from the internet.

The images depicted children who ranged in age from less than one year old up to 10 years old.

The court heard that the images and videos ranged across the five categories of seriousness regarding child exploitation material.

Hundreds of them were in category five — the most extreme category, which generally includes images or videos of sadism, bestiality or child abuse.

Detective Senior Constable Robert Miley told the court he attended Mr Hyde’s home on April 13, 2016, and told him he was there to search for child exploitation material.

He said Mr Hyde answered: “Yes, I’ve got some of that, I’d like to plead guilty.”

Police then seized computer equipment and storage devices from the home.

The trial continues.

Topics: sexual-offences, child-abuse, courts-and-trials, law-crime-and-justice, perth-6000, wa

First posted April 09, 2019 16:38:07

Lawn Mowing Service