Sydney news: Police allege kidnapping of 15-year-old, Huggies workers angered by factory closure

Updated April 04, 2019 13:04:04

Here’s what you need to know this morning:

Police have charged two men over the alleged kidnapping of a 15-year-old boy at a bus stop in Hurstville yesterday.

Police say the boy was waiting to cross the road at an intersection in the southern Sydney suburb about 5.45pm when a black Holden Captiva stopped in front of him at the traffic lights.

It is alleged two men got out of the car, started punching and kicking the boy, then dragged him to the car and drove away.

After witnesses contacted police, the two men, aged 20 and 22, handed themselves in with the 15-year-old boy at St George Police Station.

Police confirmed the 20-year-old man is the teenager’s brother, and the 22-year-old man is also related.

Huggies workers will have ‘opportunities’: PM

The CFMEU will meet with Kimberly-Clark Australia management and staff this morning after the announcement of the closure of the Huggies nappy manufacturing factory at Ingleburn in Sydney, threatening up to 220 jobs.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison said the affected workers should be able to “weather the disappointment” and have confidence that the “opportunities will be there into the future”.

“In a big city like Sydney, what we see is people are able the weather the disappointment and the impact that I know this can have on individuals when there are changes in these businesses,” he said.

The company said last night nappy production would be moved to Asia as part of its global restructuring program.

The union’s Michael Aird said employees felt betrayed and angry because there had been no indication of any potential job losses.

“The workers are sad, they’re devastated, but they’re also angry about the decision. They feel deeply betrayed,” he said.

Yes, Minister

The Berejiklian Government announced a new Cabinet over the weekend, boosting its numbers from 23 to 24 ministers — the largest in New South Wales history.

But there is one problem — there’s not enough room at Government HQ to house them all.

The Australian reported this morning that the Government’s Martin Place headquarters holds only 22 offices and needs to be rearranged on the back of the inflated leadership team.

According to the report, there are also some heavy-hitters such as Deputy Premier John Barilaro in charge of nothing right now as the Premier establishes her new Government — to be determined in the “coming weeks” — with just eight ministers in charge of all NSW legislation.

A spokesman for the Premier says it’s an interim measure and the final allocation of legislation will happen in the coming weeks.

Interim Opposition Leader Penny Sharpe told the ABC it indicated the Premier only trusted “very few people”.

Patient safety ‘jeopardised’

The state’s health care watchdog is failing to appropriately assess hundreds of patients’ complaints because of “a dysfunctional workplace culture”, a whistleblower has claimed.

The Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) is an independent government body that assesses, investigates and prosecutes medical complaints throughout New South Wales.

The whistleblower warns the mounting delays and administrative mistakes potentially “jeopardise public health and safety”, and have triggered an exodus of many senior staff with “decades of experience”.

An HCCC spokesperson said while there were “significant recognised issues with performance” in the past, complaints handling had improved between 2018 and 2019.

Thursday’s weather

Cloudy. High chance of showers

Min. Max.
CBD 17 24
Parramatta 15 24

Topics: community-and-society, doctors-and-medical-professionals, unions, sydney-2000, nsw

First posted April 04, 2019 06:49:49

Lawn Mowing Service